Thursday, November 1, 2007

I Think I Need to Change My Name




I couple of day ago, I was listening to an old broadcast of  
The Dividing Line, hosted by Dr. James White of Alpha and Omega Ministries and I heard him make a comment about the people in the chat channel.  It wasn't the first time he had mentioned the chat channel and I even looked for it in the past but couldn't find until Tuesday when I searched through the AO Min site again and finally found it.  So I submitted my name and a password and made my way into the chat.  
Well, the people already on didn't seem to take to kindly to my "nickname".  The thing is, I didn't use a nickname, I used my actual name and one of the moderators, I am assuming, thought it was suspicious for someone to be coming on to a Christian based chat room with the name Jesus.  He tried contacting me but I am not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers so when I didn't respond right away, he bounced me.  I did get back on and explained who I was and it was fine after that.  I went back on to the chat channel later and again used my real name not a nickname, this time Dr. White was on and asked me to explain my nickname which showed up as jesussaenz.  I explained again that it was my actual name and everybody was cool about it.  Some of the people on there actually knew from Gene Cook's webcast The Narrow Mind.

Earlier today, I sent an email to the bookstore at Westminster Theological Seminary.  They were a little surprised when Jesus wanted to link to their bookstore.  You can take a look at the comments about it on Alex Leung's blog where Mark from WTS writes about the email and about Alex getting comments from Jesus.

Of course it's a cultural thing, as only Hispanics name their children Jesús.  I thought of using a nickname associated with the name Jesús which is Chuy but then all the jokes about Chewbacca would've ensued... oh well.  I just need to get better known as a blogger so people know about Jesús and Jesus.  Speaking of "better known", Crossway Publishers whom publish the English Standard Version translation of the Bible linked to my blog about the pigment pens.  


7 comments:

Shamgar said...

Well, I don't know how much people explained that situation, but there are good reasons for that.

This is the internet, and you have to understand we get some serious undesirables in there. People who are not really interested in having a conversation (or even a debate) but just want to use it as a platform for spewing their heretical views (RCs, JWs, etc).

Understand, their views are not what disqualify them from participation necessarily - it's their not being open to any honest discussion, instead just seeing it as a platform to try to preach at people who are there. This is not the purpose of the room and is generally obnoxious.

Others come in and try to be deliberately offensive, often with their nicks, and work hard at trying to get kicked out so they can tell people we were mean to them. (Some people have way too much time)

Lastly we get people who sit in channel and just lurk, waiting for someone to say something, or a bit of conversation to occur that they can take out of context and plaster on the web to try and portray the group in the worst possible light.

Because of these things, we have had to adopt some fairly stringent rules regarding getting to know new people fairly quickly. How they came to find out about us, where they're from, what kind of church they attend, etc. People who duck these questions more often than not tend to be trouble.

So, if nobody answers, we boot them, just to be on the safe side, no offense is intended. The first couple weeks are difficult for a new person, especially one with a suspicious looking name. But once a handful of the regulars get to know you, they'll take your part if any of the rest suddenly notice you and have questions. We really do want to encourage people to come and take part - even people who don't agree with us - as long as they're willing to be courteous.

Jesus Saenz said...

Sham, I hope it didn't sound as if I was in any way upset about it. I totally understand about all the questions and as soon as I explained who I was everybody was super nice. Don't think that you guys have scared me away ;-)!

Dr. White is not very popular among the undesirables and I understand that there are those who will go on there to stir it up. Just want to say that I have a lot of respect for what he does!

Alex S. Leung said...

When I first saw your name on that ESV blog post, it took me a minute to realize that there are certainly hispanics who name their children Jesus. And in the time of Jesus Christ the Son of God, it was a name used often (shorter version of "Joshua").

For the large part of Western culture today, it's definitely not the norm. Knowing who Christ was, I don't think I would name my kid Jesus, simply to let the name be more unique to the Son of God:)

Still, hope you don't have too much of a hard time dealing with the mixups!
Grace and peace!

ElShaddai Edwards said...

Welcome to the club! You may be interested in reading this post on my blog, He is Sufficient:

http://tinyurl.com/2n6gdt

I'll look forward to exploring more of your blog!

Peace,
ElShaddai Edwards

Jesus Saenz said...

ElSheddai, thanks for coming by!!!

mens leather jackets said...

Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! The information mentioned in the article are some of the best available.

dark knight jacket said...

Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! The information mentioned in the article are some of the best available.
Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me! The information mentioned in the article are some of the best available.