Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Famous or Infamous?


Earlier this year I began looking for a new Bible.  I had been more than a little disappointed with my most recent purchase which at that time was a little more than a year old, a Life Application Study Bible.  It is a large book at 6.5" x 9.5" x 2", bound in bonded leather and the spine is glued.  The price of the Bible was around $70.00 which to me at that time seemed like a lot to spend on a Bible but thought it was an investment.  Sadly the Bible didn't last quite as long as I had expected.  Thus began my search for my next Bible.

I started looking for a new study Bible as well as a new translation.  I decided on The Reformation Study Bible(ESV) but along with it I also was interested in and bought the 1599 Geneva Bible after reading a review by J. Mark Bertrand.  He had an entire section in his blog that was all about Bibles, nice Bibles.  I read and re-read all he had written about Bibles and I finally had an understanding of what a fine binding was.  Ever since buying my first Bible I wanted a truly nice Bible but didn't have an idea of what that was as most Christian bookstores do not usually stock premium Bibles.  

Thankfully there are companies that still make these very expensive books and people like Mark Bertrand who take the time write about and photograph them.  He now has a new site that is strictly dedicated to this pursuit.  Here, Bibliophiles can talk about the aspects of Bibles and Bible design that are of interest.  Recently, one of the regular commentators to the blog sent a picture of his stack of Bibles to Mark.  After posting in the comments section all of my recent acquisitions, Mark asked me to send him a picture of my Bibles so he could write about as well.  Read it here

I guess this sort of shopping spree is unusual.  Hmm, thats just odd!

From top to bottom; 1) Cambridge Pitt Minion NASB goatskin,  2) Cambridge Cameo KJV blue Morocco,  3) Lockman Wide Margin NASB blue calfskin,  4) Crossway Deluxe Heirloom ESV black calfskin,  5) Crossway Single Column Reference ESV black calfskin,  6) R L Allan Reference ESV black Highland goatskin,  7) Crossway Thinline Cordovan ESV calfskin,  8)  Lockman Wide Margin NASB black calfskin

J. Mark Bertrand is my homeboy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed J. Mark Bertrand is my homeboy as well. I have recently went on a bible buying spree. Cambridge Goatskin KJV as well as Single column ESV (Goatskin) and Classic Thinline ESV (Goatskin). If someone was to publish a parallel KJV/ESV wide margin wrapped in Goatskin... that would be the bible for me!!!

Anonymous said...

Jesus, where did you get the Cambridge Cameo KJV blue Morocco edition from? That’s not specifically what I’m looking for, but I haven’t seen it ANYWHERE in my extensive online perusing... and I figure if they have a big enough selection to carry that gem, then they've got a bigger selection in general =D

Anonymous said...

Francis, Cambridge has discontinued the Cameo line. That one is from the late 70's early 80's and I got it on eBay.

I have this blog to wordpress, check it out there

http://souldesaenz.wordpress.com/