Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Road That Leads Away From Rome


I was born into a Roman Catholic home. I was baptized and made my First Holy Communion as well, but I never really saw myself as being Catholic. The day of my FHC was the last time I took part of that sacrament, I ate meat on Fridays during lent, I lit firecrackers in the bathrooms, stole fund raiser chocolates from my catechism classes... then, I refused to go back for my Confirmation. I told my mother I would not be returning and from that day, I no longer saw myself as being Catholic.

I felt my defection from Rome was sealed. When I came to repentance I saw myself as an atheist saved by Grace and not a convert. Since I never sent a writ of defection to the Pope, my defection was never official and chances are that Rome still counts me as one of their followers. I had never thought of it making my divorce from Rome officail until I read this article by Lance King. Seems like an easy venture which I may consider going through.

No comments: